Rebadging or badge engineering is a standard apply inside the world's automotive manufacturing sector and easily signifies that the model or marque of 1 motor automotive is changed with the model of one other. In impact, the precise badge, designating a specific model resembling the normal bowtie emblem of Chevrolet, is changed by the blue fan of Daewoo within the Far East!
Rebadging is value efficient
Because of the monumental value related to the analysis and improvement of a completely new mannequin, motor automotive producers typically rebadge a single product various occasions. Though every rebadged car is actually precisely the identical automotive, the totally different badged manufacturers typically bear mild, exterior beauty surgical procedure in an effort to distinguish the manufacturers.
Loads of new and used automobiles in Cape City have been rebadged for one purpose or one other, with Chevrolet a chief instance. Owned by Common Motors and manufactured in South Korea as Daewoo, the model, in its totality, has been rebadged Chevrolet in South Africa and different western nations.
Causes for rebadging a automotive
Automobiles are sometimes rebadged for quite a lot of causes together with:
- Basic Motors' automobiles could also be rebadged merely to realize a much bigger market share with out having to develop new fashions. Chevrolet, Pontiac and Saturn are precisely the identical automotive bought by GM in america whereas Chevrolet Montana has been rebadged the Opel Corsa Utility in South Africa!
- Some producers commerce off manufacturers which might be lacking from their assortment. Isuzu, for example, was missing a minivan, in order that they merely rebadged the Honda Odyssey as their very own Isuzu Oasis.
- Different corporations allow a revised model of their product to be bought beneath one other badge. Volkswagen is, for instance, advertising a re-skinned model of the Dodge Caravan because the VW Routan!
- Rebadging additionally happens when two producers pool assets to create a brand new product. Basic Motors and Toyota collaborated to type New United Motor Manufacturing Inc. which produced the Chevrolet Prizm/Toyota Corolla.
Rebadged Cape City used automobiles
Automobiles which have been rebadged in South Africa embrace:
- The Daewoo Kalos, rebadged because the Chevrolet Aveo
- The Chevrolet Spark, generally known as the Daewoo Matiz in different areas
- The Jeep Cherokee which is called the Jeep Liberty within the States
- The rebadged Opel Corsa Utility, often known as the Chevrolet Montana